PPE Eye Protection
Did you know that all employers have a legal obligation relating to the use and provision of PPE (personal protective equipment), including PPE eye protection where circumstances dictate.
What is PPE Equipment?
PPE can be any type of equipment which has been created to offer protection for the user/wearer against the user against health or safety risks at work.
Covering a huge variety of conditions and tasks, PPE equipment can include items such as safety helmets, gloves, eye protection, high-visibility clothing, safety footwear and safety harnesses. It also includes respiratory protective equipment (RPE).
Some guidance from the HSE highlights the fact that:
Making the workplace safe includes providing instructions, procedures, training and supervision to encourage people to work safely and responsibly.
Even where engineering controls and safe systems of work have been applied, some hazards might remain. These include injuries to:
- the lungs, eg from breathing in contaminated air
- the head and feet, eg from falling materials
- the eyes, eg from flying particles or splashes of corrosive liquids
- the skin, eg from contact with corrosive materials
- the body, eg from extremes of heat or cold
PPE is needed in these cases to reduce the risk.
What do I have to do?
- Only use PPE as a last resort
- If PPE is still needed after implementing other controls (and there will be circumstances when it is, eg head protection on most construction sites), you must provide this for your employees free of charge
- You must choose the equipment carefully (see selection details below) and ensure employees are trained to use it properly, and know how to detect and report any faults
Selection and use
You should ask yourself the following questions:
- Who is exposed and to what?
- How long are they exposed for?
- How much are they exposed to?
SSD Safety offers a range of PPE eye protection which is available in a variety of different styles. To view our full range, please click here.
If you would like any more information relating to our range of PPE eye protection products, please contact us on either Tel. No. 01293 551938, e-mail – firstname.lastname@example.org or via Facebook and we will be happy to answer any of your questions.
Currently Browsing: PPE Eye Protection